annabellemarie

Sparkles and Lightning

Hello all! I'm Annabelle, a (currently inactive but soon to be back) book blogger with a thing for red roses and rain and fictional boys.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again
J.R.R. Tolkien
Civilization and Its Discontents (The Standard Edition) (Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud)
Sigmund Freud, James Strachey, Peter Gay
Temptation (Harlequin Teen)
Karen Ann Hopkins
Man's Search for Meaning
Viktor E. Frankl
Legend - Marie Lu *****FINAL RATING: 4.75 STARS*****CATCHALLFor so long, I would hear such awesome things regarding Legend. Most people seemed to agree on its general amazingness. But, me being me, I'd never really gotten around to reading it. But, now that I have, I am completely in a agreement with these people. Legend was fantastic. The characters were gorgeous, and the world was lovely. There's pain and love, suffering and joy, and nothing is ever as it seems.THE HERODAYDay is fabulous. The way he's introduced does its best to make him seem like a bad boy. In many ways, he is. But more than that, Day is also really just a regular boy, and I like that. There is much that is special about him, but he doesn't have to be exceptional in every single way to be extraordinary. I also like the way he's an open book. He doesn't have a difficult time saying what he thinks, and he's very free at expressing himself.THE HEROINEJUNEI have a total girl crush on June. She's such a badass. Obviously, she isn't perfect, and she makes several mistakes in this novel. But once she realizes that she'll do anything to fix them. She doesn't try to forget about them. June has a difficult times expressing how she's feeling and just kind of closes off after her brother's death. It's Day that slowly opens her eyes to the world around her. I liked the realism in that.THE PLOTOkay, so if I had to sum this up in one word: intense.There was so much action. It never stopped. And there were always truths we couldn't quite discover, hidden just around the corner. Always something we didn't know, and yet something I was always eager to find out.I really, really, liked all the secrets.I also loved how the trust between the two characters is dynamic and changes constantly throughout the book. For a long while, the trust between them fluctuates. But eventually, it cements.For all its action, this book also had a lot of emotion. I can't even begin to tell you how much, only that there were so many feels. It was absolutely marvelous. I haven't felt this much from a book in ages, but this one really took me on a roller coaster and made my emotions come to life.It's crazy, really. Wild. But very, very alive.It rang so real and true to me. I just have nothing but good things to say here, and nothing but praise to give. So. Much. Love.THE ROMANCEDay and June are easily one of my favorite couples. I didn't think that this was instalovey at all. They form some sort of bond the moment they meet. Although it isn't love at first, somehow I think it truly grows into that. There's a level of mutual respect between them, and I love and appreciate that. Also, I think that they have excellent chemistry. Day and June take care of each other, and always do their best to keep the other safe. They're strong separately and even stronger together.THE WRITINGI adore Marie's writing. I especially love the alternate POV. Day and June take turns telling the story, and both sides are equally important. Save for their circumstances, Day and June are very similar people in opposing positions. June is privileged while Day is not, and that was interesting to see the gap there. They think similarly a lot of the time, but reach different results. I also adore the way the world is described, so harshly beautiful, and everything about that.THE ENDINGWow. Talk about lovely. It was nothing I could see coming, that's for sure. Honestly, it was unexpected. I really was not expecting it at all. I loved it, though. There's this measure of truth that comes out, and we finally know why some things are the way they are. It also sets up the next book. It left me breathless, dying to know what was going to happen next. It was fabulous. Day and June have plans for what's next, and though they don't agree on everything, they'll stick together.WRAPUPSo, I loved Legend. Loved, loved, loved it. It certainly deserves the rating it got. It fascinated and thrilled me with its words, and I fell in love with the world and the wonderful, wonderful hero and heroine. I've already read and loved Prodigy and will most definitely be reading the last book of the trilogy with high hopes. I absolutely recommend that if you haven't picked up a copy of this book yet that you do so and give it a try. Chances you'll love it are high.FINE.Find more of my reviews on Sparkles and Lightning!